Monday, October 3, 2011

Am I Eclectic, or Just Confused?

I have been thinking a lot lately about my personal design style. I admire and appreciate so many decor ideas and styles, that I sometimes wonder if I have one particular look that is, and always will be, me. One day, I might love classic style, and daydream about tufted, linen upholstery, detailed white moldings and beadboard ceilings. Then on other days, I might linger over emerald fabrics, gold accents and glossy white ceramic antlers hanging on my gallery wall. I also love preppy plaids, bold stripes and herringbone floors. I also love mid century lines, with simple furniture construction, such as the beautiful tulip table and ayers chair. My point is, I am all over the map when it comes to personal design taste. I guess one doesn't have to choose any one style over the other. Am I more trendy than classic, more rustic than sleek- or just a blend of them all? Personal style can be a blend of everything, old and new- without the mindset that you have to pick an era or go with just one or two looks. And of course, your tastes do change over time. I know that I love modern style more now, than I did 5 years ago. When it comes to personal style- why not incorporate them all? Afterall, I guess that really brings you to your own unique, personal style. If you decorate your home based on the things you absolutely love, can you really be wrong? I don't think so! If you adore and use everything in your home, it reflects you and nobody else! I guess the word trendy is just a personal opinion. If you love it- keep it! That's the mindset that I am at today! I'm not ready to pin myself down- I love it all! Here is my style (depending on the day):












Source: google.com via Simple on Pinterest






All of these styles, when put together, would make a pretty fun home! When combined together, I guess I am a blend of traditional and modern, with a bold, eclectic mix!

What are your thoughts- are you all over the design map, or do you know your exact style?

8 comments:

Kat said...

I'm right there with ya, girl! I love many different styles. I also have the mindset that if you decorate with things you love, it'll look great. So who cares if we're not in one decorating box...I like it that way;)

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

Actually, I think these images all have a very similar feel to them. They are all elegant but bold and fun and almost all have white walls. You have great style.

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

I've pinned several of those same images. It's hard for me to narrow down my choices to a single style, why not go for a little of this and a little of that?

Melissa @ Rooms said...

I totally know what you mean. I think that with what we do - blogging and design, we are constantly exposing ourselves to different styles and new things & it's hard to just narrow our style down to one look.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

This is what I really love about design today: you don't have to define your style with just one style. Traditional can coexist with urban and rustic - it's all how it's pulled together. I absolutely adore that first image - I want that room in my house!

Jessie said...

Amber, I am right there with you, too! I love so many design styles and furniture pieces from so many eras, it's hard to define my style in a few words or less. I think in the world of design, the most important thing is not to narrow our style in a box but embrace everything we love. I think it's fun to pick our favorite pieces, make them ours and cherish them every day, don't you think?

Have a great week!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Holly said...

All of these images are gorgeous...mmm my favorites are that kitchen, and the office below it. You certainly have the eye and that translates into your own home. And I agree with you - if you love what is in your home that is what is important. I'm a blend of old and new, cozy and sleek, or something like that - I think my description changes each time I've thought through it. This is a great exercise!

A Delightful Design said...

You included so many of my absolute favorite images. I truly believe that except for the first image, all of these rooms would look FANTASTIC in the same house. Just keep loving what you love. :-)

Post a Comment

I truly appreciate you stopping by and leaving a comment! It means the world to me that you took the time to read my thoughts on design. Thanks so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...