Monday, January 16, 2012

DIY - Adding Fabric Trim to Lamp Shade

With the holidays behind us, it's always fun to change up some things around the home with simple and quick projects! I recently added some new grosgrain trim to my lamp shade, giving a little pizazz to our guest room corner.



Here are the quick and easy steps:

1. The only materials I needed for this project are grosgrain ribbon and fabric glue.


2. Before cutting the trim, I placed it around the shade, making sure I left a little extra to work with. (I could always cut the extra ribbon later.)


3. At first, I applied the glue to the trim, but ultimately ended up appyling right on the shade. It worked out better that way.

4. I continued to make my way around the shade, pulling the trim tight while also pressing firmly on the shade.

5. With one ream, I had enough trim for the top and bottom of the shade, with some left over! And here are some more afters:




This tacky glue is very strong and stays really well, even on this overlapping fabric shade. If you look really close, you might see some waves, but it's pretty secure. I hope this simple project inspires you to add some trim to your lamp shade!

Will you be tackling any projects at the start of the New Year??

7 comments:

The enchanted home said...

Great idea, I did something similiar in my old house and its amazing how easy it is to give new life and transform a simple shade..well done!

pam {simple details} said...

I have some not-so-exciting shades in my bedroom, it would be great!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

so cute! i painted a stripe on sawyer's last year, but i love the ribbon- up close it looks more professional i think that my painted stripe. :)

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

I love when a quick, easy, and inexpensive project has so much impact. It looks awesome!

Stacey said...

it looks gorgeous! plus it was so simple to reinvent it too! happy monday! xx

classic • casual • home said...

Very pretty and much more custom!! I did something similar in my daughter's room. Love little details like this.

CC [AKA Frugalista] said...

What a great idea! We've been looking for lamps for our master for a long time and nothing is ever the right color or we don't just want a plain lamp. With this we can add the accent color we need. Definitely something to consider.

Post a Comment

I truly appreciate you stopping by and leaving a comment! It means the world to me that you took the time to read my thoughts on design. Thanks so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...